Jan 27, 2016

How Spiritual are YOU?


Perhaps a better question is how much do you hate sin?
(PSST....that is a good indicator of how spiritual you are).

14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.c For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.


21So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! ~ Romans 7

_______________________________

  • One of the interesting things this passage brings out is that the only thing a Christian should do is to STRUGGLE with sin.  NEVER ...become comfortable with it!  While we may never eliminate sin in our life this side of heaven, we definitely want to avoid it as much as possible. 
  • The Holy Spirit's work is to guide us into God's truth and better ways of living for Jesus!  A non-christian would not really be able to identify with this scripture passage, because they are happy with their sin.....they are comfortable with it and for the most part won't seem to find anything wrong with it.   
  • The christian who occasionally sins however can readily agree with Paul in this passage.....that is to say, even though we sometimes sin, the Holy Spirit is continually convicting us of our sin....so much so that we don't want to continue in it. We need to leave the old sin nature behind us and live out the life we now have in Christ!  
  • "Thanks be to God who delivers ME!"  Re-read this passage with these thoughts in mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment