Jul 5, 2015

Though I Speak in Tongues by Jack Hayford

The ANVIL NEWSLETTER ~ HOME Page

Pastor Jack Hayford shatters myths about "tongues"--one of the most misunderstood of charismatic experiences.

By Jack Hayford
 

It only has to happen once, and you remember.

I was at a national gathering of Christian leaders, one which by invitation included
the whole spectrum of evangelicals: charismatics, Pentecostals, traditional
evangelicals, mainline Protestants. I was young in the ministry, still unoriented to the
nuances of interdenominational gatherings, so I wasn't ready for what happened
when I introduced myself to a well-known minister.

"Jack, it's good to meet you," he said. "Where do you minister?"

"I'm in youth ministry with the Foursquare Church."

Sudden silence.

The hand gripping mine went limp as the eyes above a wan smile turned to find
somewhere else in the room to go.

An abrupt "Excuse me," and I was left standing alone--rejected because I was
"one of those people" who speak in tongues.

The memory's pain has long since been handled, and the unwitting injurer of my
soul forgiven. The good news is that it's far less likely to happen among the broad
mix of Christ's body today than when the icy moment slapped my face those many
years ago. But the sobering fact is that a peculiar thing happens in some people's
minds when they learn that you speak in tongues.

Unfortunately, a few fanatics are all it takes to to create the ugly stereotypes.
Because somewhere, sometime, someone "screamed in tongues at the concert" or
"shouted praise to God in the middle of the wedding," the caricature of a
charismatic as being "a half-bubble off-center" lurks in the minds of many people.

Any number of things foster caricatures of charismatic believers. But like most
caricatures, aside from the slightly comic exaggeration of features, significant
factors are usually overlooked.

When the apostle Paul said, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of
angels, but have not love" (1 Cor. 13:1), he was approaching the subject of
charismatic gifts in a corrective, yet constructive way. Had we the opportunity to
talk with him further about the blessing of spiritual language when we are loving, I
cannot help but believe that he would have affirmed that people who speak in
tongues are not merely tongue speakers. There is so much more about us--just as
there was so much more about Paul, the self-announced all-time speaker with
tongues (1 Cor. 14:18).

For my own part--and I think I represent millions of ordinary Christians who enjoy
the blessing of a spiritual prayer language--I am more than just a tongue speaker.
For the benefit of all who are open to the Holy Spirit's fullness, I would like to list
some traits that I share with other tongues-speaking believers and debunk a few
underlying myths.


1. Though I speak with tongues, I am an intelligent person. By intelligent, I mean
reasonable, coherent, rational--as opposed to mindless, scatterbrained or gullible.
I'm not appealing to the ability to explain the theory of relativity. I'm simply
affirming that, though I speak with tongues, I haven't taken leave of my mental
faculties.

Nor do I take leave of them when I speak with tongues.

It's a mistake in nomenclature that some writers have described speaking with
tongues as irrational speech. Worse yet, many have proposed it is not a language,
but only gibberish.

To pass such judgment is to presume the observer knows every one of the earth's
nearly 6,000 tongues--not to mention the possibility that beyond this planet a few
heavenly languages may be spoken. To indict tongues with the charge of gibberish
is also to acknowledge one's ignorance of the innumerable times that tongues
spoken by Spirit-filled people have been recognized by hearers.

The exercise of tongues is an intelligent act! 
 Not that the language is known, but that the choice to speak is known (1 Cor. 14:15), the Person being spoken to is known (1 Cor. 14:2), and the content of what is spoken is sometimes perceived
after the fact (1 Cor. 14:13).

Though spiritual language is not irrational speech, it may be described as
suprarational: It is not an aberrant or ignorant exercise, but it does exceed the limits
of the mind's unaided capacities.



2. Though I speak with tongues, I am a sensible person. A sensible person is one
who possesses practical good sense and the ability to resist the absurd or foolish.

I wish that every person who has ever spoken with tongues realized that to do so
was not an invitation to "la-la" land. God hasn't ordained that our experiences in
the supernatural are an exit pass from the realm of the natural, the mundane or the
practical.

I've encountered only a few who supposed this, but it's doubly painful each time.
It's painful because of the instances of raw inanity or outright stupidity that have
masqueraded in the name of the Holy Spirit. It's also painful because once such
things take place, they seem to become indelibly etched in the memory of all who
witness it or hear about it. Dumb things done by a charismatic are usually chalked
up to his or her being a tongues speaker, rather than noting that the same person
without tongues would probably have done the same dumb things!



3. Though I speak with tongues, I am a fallible person. Perhaps few accusations
are more unfounded than the oft-quoted criticism of people who claim a new
experience of the Spirit's fullness: "They think they're better than everyone else!"

Within the circle of my associations, nothing could be further from the real feelings
of charismatic believers: We do not feel we are better than other Christians, but we
do feel we are better Christians that we were before.

A genuine work of the Holy Spirit at any dimension in a human soul will inevitably
deepen our perspective on Christ's character and Christian purity. This will bring a
progressive humility with a heightened awareness of sin and a greater readiness to
confess and renounce it.

The truly Spirit-filled experience will more than likely align with Christ's experience:
"Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the
devil" (Matt. 4:1). Spirit-fullness is a pathway to a more direct conflict with our
adversary than before. 
So a person who chooses to move into the Spirit-filled exercise of spiritual language should be characterized by more dependence on the Lord--not less.

The realm of spiritual vitality is the realm of spiritual warfare. They're the same
arena. And any notion of infallibility needs to be dashed to the ground because it's
the surest way to fail: "Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall"
(1 Cor. 10:12).

Perhaps the greatest battle of my spiritual life took place at a time I had made my
deepest commitment to move in the realm of the Spirit's fullness. Early in my
ministry, though my marriage was strong and my commitment to Christ was solid, I
slowly but definitely began to find myself in an emotional entrapment. My
involvement with a woman of equal dedication evolved into an affinity that in time
moved from friendship to a near- adulterous infatuation.

During those dark days of a temptation to which I never surrendered, I wrestled
long in prayer against the emotional tentacles seeking to drag me into sin. I would
often cry out to God, frequently with surges of the spiritual language gushing forth
in intercession for my own helplessness. It is to the praise of God's grace that I
was spared the loss of my integrity, my marriage, my ministry--my life!

That experience clearly demonstrates two things: (1) Spirit-fullness is no guarantee
of infallibility. (2) Spiritual language is a mighty resource when in warfare against
sin.



4. Though I speak with tongues, I am a growing person. Possibly nothing thwarts
Christian growth more than the pretentiousness of supposed "attainment," however
piously manifest.

Jesus described our relationship with Him as vine-to-branch, and in doing so not
only promised growth but demanded fruitfulness. The religious posturing He
encountered in ancient Jerusalem was the embodiment of the nothing-but-leaves fig
tree He cursed outside the city. Because His feelings about fruitlessness are clear, I need to keep available to His primary method of assuring growth and fruit: "pruning".

I propose that every Spirit-filled believer welcome the ceaseless ministry of our
Lord in this respect. Unfortunately, nothing is truer of our religious traditions than
our tendency to become excess baggage rather than fruit-begetting disciplines.

The test of my growth will ultimately be measured by the regularity of my having
been pruned--my "holy habits" scrutinized under God's fiery gaze, my "convictions"
subjected to His modifying mercifulness, and my "doctrines" kept shapable by the
Spirit's work in enlarging my understanding of the Father and His Word.

A growing person will never become a bigot, for he or she knows there is much to
learn. Nor can a growing person ever be satisfied with the status quo, for the
"onward call" continually sounds from above where our Great Shepherd calls us to
higher ground.



5. Though I speak with tongues, I am a dependable person. A mild heresy among
a few supposed charismatics claims that the fullness of the Spirit licenses a basic
unpredictability in every facet in life. Some people believe that if they possess a
"who knows where I'll be next" attitude, then they are "tuned in to God."

Such an idea becomes an attempt at spiritualizing irresponsibility or
undependability, allowing a person to explain any late arrival, any unpaid bill, any
neglected duty or any overlooked obligation with the words "The Holy Spirit
seemed to lead me to..."

The whole of the Scriptures breathe of a consistency between spirituality and
dependability. Late payments are not necessarily unchristian, nor are late arrivals,
but the dependable person deals with such eventualities in a responsible way that
doesn't blame God for mistakes.

But praying in tongues can make a difference, however. Time and again when I am
in prayer--praying "with the understanding" as well as "with the spirit" (1 Cor.
14:15)--reminders, clarifications or practical guidance comes to mind. Such
Spirit-given direction enables me more dependably to fulfill relational expectations,
vocational pursuits or spiritual goals.



6. Though I speak with tongues, I am a sinful person. To acknowledge this is
neither to build a case for future carnal intent nor to argue for a casual indifference
toward sin. It's simply to state what should be obvious: No spiritual experience
renders any of us above the touch of sin or beyond its reach.

The Holy Spirit has been given to make us holy--it's His first name! But His
sanctifying presence, as powerful as it may be to assist me in resisting sin's efforts
at invading my life, is only as purifying as my will is to let Him have full sway. In
writing a group of people he addresses as Spirit-filled (Gal. 3:2), the apostle Paul
points out the way to ensure a walk of holiness: "Walk in the Spirit, and you shall
not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit
against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the
things you wish" (Gal. 5:16-17, emphasis mine).

A few years before his death, Pentecostal leader David du Plessis was asked a
very pointed question by a young man: "Dr. du Plessis, could you tell me about
how old I'll be when improper thoughts--especially about women--won't tempt my
mind any longer?"

Dear David, whose fidelity to the truth was legendary, looked squarely into the
eyes of the young man. "Son," said the 80-year-old minister, "when I get that old
I'll let you know!"

There's something about the honesty of that response that commends the greatness
of a leader who felt no constraint to pretend piety.

Only in heaven, and ultimately in our resurrected bodies, will there be no potential
handle for sin to manipulate us. Until then, "walking in the Spirit" is the pathway to purity, and it is certain that a daily walk of ceaseless prayer in the Spirit can only contribute to that sin-mastering way of life.



7. Though I speak with tongues, I am a biblical and Christ-centered person. The
charismatic Christian's commitment to Christ and the Scriptures seems to be
assailed with sufficient frequency that I feel a peculiar defensiveness.

Statistical evidence indicates that (1) Pentecostal/charismatic ministries total more
converts than any other sector of Christianity today, (2) the number of
Pentecostal/charismatic missionaries total far more than half of all Protestants
today, (3) the central message of this group is "Jesus Christ and Him crucified,"
and (4) the sole authority for our proclamation is the eternal Word of the Bible.
Notwithstanding this objective evidence, carping critics suggest a lack of
conviction regarding these priorities.

With regard to Christ and His Word, I've rarely met a person who entered the
realm of exercising spiritual language but that these matters are soon brought up,
usually in words like these:


  • "Since I opened to this dimension of the Holy Spirit's work in my life, Jesus has become so much more precious to me: worshiping God has become so much more vital."

  • "I don't know how to explain it, but since I received my spiritual language, the Bible has opened up with a new clarity and depth to my understanding. I can't get enough of it--I love the Word of God."

Exactly how speaking with other tongues enhances the matter of understanding the
Scriptures or loving Jesus Christ is probably a matter of speculation. But it is clear
that both the Bible and God's Son are central to the Holy Spirit's present program.
He breathed the Bible into existence, and He glorifies Christ at every opportunity.
So it's not surprising that those who speak as the Spirit gives utterance are
Bible-centered, Christ-centered people.



8. Though I speak with tongues, I am a happy person. One of the things that
seems to unsettle many observers of charismatic people comment is our
exuberance and expressiveness. Some Christians find it less than sufficiently
reverent if a person becomes genuinely happy about God, or worship, or church
services--as though to be happy is to reduce the meaningfulness of these matters.

More than a few critics hint that such excitement can only be present if people are
shallow. They suggest that the reason for happy charismatics is that we haven't
really captured the weightiness of true godliness, or that we don't adequately sense
the greatness and grandeur of the Almighty God.

I must admit that I am cautious myself. It makes me uncomfortable when people
clap too much or laugh too readily in church settings. As a pastor whose approach
is very positive and often flavored with humor, I still am watchful against the
intrusion of either a silly or giddy attitude rising among those I lead. But the
triumphant joy so frequently witnessed among most charismatics is not usually due
to a reckless or shallow mind-set, though we all have observed such unfocused
giddiness at times.

Of course, there are times for deeply sober moments as well, and no thinking
person would deny the wisdom of making occasion for meditative worship. But
silence is not a synonym for reverence, just as I am not proposing happiness as an
equivalent of holiness.

But both silence and happiness--reverence and joyfulness--deserve a place in our
gatherings and in our lifestyle as believers. People who have lost their laughter have
usually begun to take themselves too seriously and God's grace not seriously
enough.



9. Though I speak with tongues, I am an average person. Salvation was never
intended to breed a race of supersaints. Yet it has unfortunately not been
uncommon for a few charismatic people to fall prey to the notion that
"supernatural" means something other than "human."

A generally unspoken but nonetheless present myth says: "If you get all God has
for you, you'll become a member of a super-race of Christians, whose mission is to
move throughout the planet like extraterrestrials, stunning mankind with your
accomplishments."

However, redemption and spiritual enablement haven't been designed to make us
superhuman but to make us truly human--the kind of creatures God created us to
be. The redeemed, Spirit-filled Christian is a marvelous dichotomy, a paradox in
motion, where both the finite and the infinite meet.

It's a thrilling thing to "taste of the powers of the world to come" (Heb. 6:5), for the
incredibly mighty power of the living God courses through us at times, with waves
of Holy Spirit power that are a foretaste of eternity. These momentary invasions of
our ordinariness make for wonderfully extraordinary possibilities, and flashes of
glory often distill in real miracles. Yet we also often find ourselves groaning amid
present sufferings, longing for the moment at Christ's coming when "this mortal shall
put on immortality and this corruptible shall put on incorruption" (1 Cor. 15:51-
53).

To live in this holy tension between two worlds requires a rare balance, always
contending for God's supernatural grace to find a conduit through our frail vessel,
while at the same time refusing to deny our fundamental humanity or to dabble in
the vanity of self-exalting pretentiousness.



10. Though I speak with tongues, I am a hope-filled, trusting person. Though
charismatics and Pentecostals differ widely on how faith works, they agree that a
person who prays with the Spirit is often directing that prayer toward impossible
situations--convinced that "all things are possible to him who believes" (Mark
9:23).

It is the conviction that the Holy Spirit enables intercession that prompts readiness
to face the impossible in faith: "We do not know what we should pray for as we
ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot
be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is,
because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we
know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who
are called according to His purpose" (Rom. 8:26-28).

These verses present three great truths:


  • We all regularly face "things" we don't know how to pray about (v. 26).

  • The Holy Spirit will dramatically assist in prayer at such times (v. 27).

  •  By this means, God's purpose and power are introduced into the situation      
(v.28).

Conclusion: Things that otherwise wouldn't have "worked together for good," do
now, because Spirit-inspired intercessory prayer has intervened. A different result
has become realizable than would have been the case if the circumstance were
merely surrendered to the course of this world, to human wisdom, to theologized
passivity or to hell's workings.

No sensible Christian, however convinced in the power of faith, is arrogant enough
to claim to have "mastered" faith. There is no one who has a magic key or perfect
insight, so the fruit of our faith-filled prayers is not always what the human mind
would dictate. And that's when the highest level of faith takes over--the faith that
trusts God's faithfulness even when it appears that our prayers haven't won the day
(at least not as we would have defined "victory.").

There are no formula answers, nor are there any guaranteed results. But the record
is very clear on one thing: A great many prayers for unusual or miraculous manifestation of God's power are answered! They are far too many to be written  off as coincidental.

As an infant I was the victim of a birth defect that the physician said would take my
life before I was 2 years old. Yet I was healed after a prayer request was sent by a
relative to a church near where my parents lived. Further, as a 3-year-old child, I
was stricken with polio. After the medical community had done the best they could
do and it wasn't enough, again I was healed as a result of "the prayer of faith."

In each of those cases, as with multiplied millions like them, many of the prayers
involved praying both "with the spirit" and "with the understanding." Can you see,
then, why I perceive a special beauty in spiritual language?

Though I speak with tongues, I don't always witness the miraculous or see the
result I might have preferred, but I am a hope-filled and trusting person
nonetheless. My hopes are founded in Christ and rooted in God's Word of promise, and my trust is unshaken when answers seem unseen, for abiding assures me that my Father's unchanging wisdom, love and mercy is in operation- -even when I don't see it.



Truly Charismatic

To open to the beauty of spiritual language does not require you to become a
wild-eyed fanatic, a rigid proponent of faith, a drone preoccupied with health or
wealth, or a giddy dupe running from one televised service to another.

Charismatic isn't a stereotyped lifestyle managed by a pop theology or a
manipulative leader. It's a biblical, Christ-centered, sensible, hope- filled, happy,
trusting application of God's promises for today. 

To be truly charismatic is to enter a dimension of Christian living available to people who sin, fail and suffer, yet seek God's holiness, depend on His grace and believe for His presence and power in the middle of their tough times.

Speaking in tongues--or any other spiritual gift--is not unbiblical or outmoded, not
a status symbol or a substitute for spiritual growth. Above all, spiritual language is
not divisive. When the beauty of this exercise is scriptually understood and wisely
employed, it is a pathway of blessing for the entire body of Christ.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment