Mar 11, 2013

Obituary: Fred Howson



It is with sadness that I want to inform my ANVIL friends of the passing of my mentor, friend and father, Fred Howson.  Fred peacefully passed into the arms of Jesus this morning in Georgetown Hospital at 5am after a brief illness.  He was surrounded by all his immediate family. He was just under 4 months to his 90th birthday on July 7th.  


It seemed like Dad was the #1 ANVIL enthusiast since joining us in September after his move from Winnipeg, and he just loved to be with his ANVIL brothers, "those Godly men" as he put it, worshipping, praying and singing of his Saviour in his place beside me on Thursday nights, (including this past Thursday).  I want to publicly thank all the men who have stood with me in prayer for him so faithfully over the past year, however today was his homecoming !  

Dad has left me with a rich heritage, and his legacy and pioneering spirit will live on in my heart and the hearts of so many he touched with his life.  His is a life that was lived for his Saviour and selflessly for many other people that he poured his life into in over 60 years as a pastor and a pioneer church-planter. Dad graduated from OPBC in 1944.  His pastorates included,  Bancroft, Ont., Arkona, Ont., Magnetewan, Ont., Burkes Falls, Ont., Lac du Bonnet, Mb, Rossburn, Mb, Altamont, Mb,  Madsen, Ont., Manitouwadge, Ont., Amherstburg, Ont.,Wiseton, Sk, Saskatoon, Sk.. While many of you have only recently met him, he was a soldier!  

God gifted him with a servant's heart.  He was gentle, faithful, had a willing spirit and a cheerful heart.  He was a soldier!  He is survived by his wife Alma, sons Mark (Andrea) and Charles, grandchildren, Leigha, Ryan, Danae, Joshua and Jeffrey.


Funeral Services were held on Thursday, March 14, 2013, 3pm at Georgetown Christian Fellowship, Georgetown Ontario, 905-873-9652.   
Here is a video of the funeral: Harold Frederick Howson Funeral - March 2013


With love and gratitude, Mark


I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing. 
2 Timothy 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment